Hello, I’m Tim Brown. I live and work in New York State’s beautiful Hudson Valley with my wife and college sweetheart Eileen, our two daughters, and two dogs.
I’m a designer, speaker, and maker of tools. My special interest is typography, a fancy word that means using fonts.
@timbrown · @nicewebtype ·
Since 2003, I have been designing websites and practicing typography. I try to share what I learn.
As Head of Typography for Adobe Type and Typekit, I help people find, get, organize, and use fonts. I think deeply about the role of typography in design applications, advise our partners, make tools, and help people practice typography.
Universal Typography is a series of presentations I give (that people seem to enjoy) about how the web has fundamentally changed typography. I also talk about how to practice, and how good typography is good for business.
Nice Web Type was my Graphic Design BFA thesis (SUNY New Paltz), and later a website that I used when web fonts were relatively new. Currently one of my Twitter handles.
I love my family, and I spend a lot of time thinking about how to make the most of our time together. I like to play and invent games, especially with my kids. I try to learn new things.
I’m a volunteer firefighter, and here’s why. I hope to be a more responsible citizen at some point.
Every few months I set personal goals. I like waking up early, and I make a pressure calendar if I feel overwhelmed. I try to focus, but it’s hard.
It’s my privilege to have good friends, to have had good teachers, and to have been raised in a loving family in a free country. I profoundly appreciate it.
- Released my small book, Combining Typefaces, as a free PDF.
- Moved my family photos and videos to a network attached storage drive with redundancy (thanks Ryan!) and into Apple’s Photos service for easy access.
- Made my newest talk, Typesetting Body Text, free on Vimeo.
- Drove a fire truck.
- Studied Christopher Alexander’s books: The Timeless Way of Building, A Pattern Language, and The Oregon Experiment.
- Wrote & published a lesson at Typekit Practice: Caring about OpenType features. Lots of people helped make it happen.
- Launched Typography Supply, an inventory of typographic tools. (with Andrew Johnson)
- Redesigned this website.
- Managed the introduction and announcement of Frere-Jones Type on Typekit.
- Managed the introduction and announcement of Morisawa fonts on Typekit.
- Presented a UIE virtual seminar on typesetting body text. The crew at UIE is incredibly professional, and this was a great experience.
- Wrote Math is not God for Dear Design Student.
- Wrote Uncertainty is part of the job for Dear Design Student.
- Wrote The web is terrible for typography! for Dear Design Student.
- Talked with Chris Coyier and Dave Rupert on Shop Talk Show #172. This was amazing! I’m a huge fan of the show.
Spoke at An Event Apart San Diego. Thanks, as always, to Toby, Marci, Stephen, Mike, Sean, Eric, and Jeffrey. Nothing like AEA.
- Wrote Good looking typography for Dear Design Student.
- Wrote Paying for type for Dear Design Student.
Gave the closing talk at Industry. Gavin Elliot puts on a stellar event, and Newcastle Upon Tyne is a beautiful place.
Spoke at An Event Apart Seattle. Amazing event, beautiful city, very cool hotel, and the best speakers dinner ever.
Spoke at An Event Apart Atlanta. Demonstrated a new kind of typesetting tool that uses font metrics to offer recommended font-sizes, line lengths, and line heights, and simulates the result in multiple contexts at once.
- Wrote about Typekit’s ethos.